Jan 23, 2008

Been Sewing

I was home sick today spending most of it in bed. Had to get up and do some thing, so I gathered the essentials and did a little sewing. I have my mug of cola, skittles, and my mountain trail mix. Along with the remote control for the TV and the cordless phone of course. Which was handy as I had a really nice conversation with Gerry (Sewing South Paw) about the block. I tried to put a link to her blog where her name is, but for some reason it just isn't working tonight. My computer is doing some really weird things though, no telling what is going to happen next with it.

So, with my essentials in place I set about making some "nakkid" blocks. The first is for a "Spring Season to Season" swap with Gerry on CQ For Newbies group. I will embellish the block, approximately half of it, and send it to our sweet hostess Gerry. She will then partner us up, send us the partner's block for us to finish embellishments on, then it will be sent back home. Our block represents spring to us. Since leaving the wind and dirt storms of spring in West Texas I have developed a true fondness for spring when all the flowers come out in bloom through the hills and mountains near by. We will drive through them often to take day trips either to the beach or up to the mountains. I found a left over embroidered car block, used it for my focus. I will be adding all kinds of flowers an such. Of course, the saying April showers bring May flowers stuck with me so in the top corner I have a rainbow with rain. Corny I know. May end up regretting that as the "rain drops" keep falling off everywhere. Seems the fabric tends to shed a bit. Oh well, live and learn I say. I like the beginning look and it is my block.

I also found some western fabric of cowboys, which I have a thing for, so made a couple of blocks up to keep for myself with that. Like I said, there is just something about a true cowboy. Don't they look tempting? Yes, it has been an almost life long infatuation. I come from a long line of ranchers, my dad and uncle were horsemen, I grew up with horses. I didn't miss a single episode of "Big Valley" even watched "F Troop" and my favorite movies are westerns. Dances With Wolves, Lonesome Dove, Open Range, The Searchers, and so many more. Too many to sit here and name. Guess that is why the romance novels I write mainly take place in the olden days of cowboys, ranches, mountain men, you get the idea. Back to the point, these blocks will be for me and I look forward to learning new techniques on them. I also have enough of the fabrics to make several more, so will probably have a throw by the time it is finished.

Man, it really bites to be sick. Very hard to type accurately when you keep coughing your lung up. I am off to a warm bath and then bed. Just wanted to post about my little bit of sewing.

1 comment:

NormaH said...

Hey, kindred spirit, love your Spring block and I'm a western romance person myself .... Zane Grey is my favorite author and John Wayne my favorite "hero" LOL Great idea - the western theme throw.