Jan 28, 2008

Moday

It is Monday morning, while I am feeling a shade better, I am home with two sick children. Well, one isn't missing school, his school has a day off for teacher's work day, but they are both sick, so am missing work...again. Was getting some nice sleep time until the neighbor's son, kindergarten age, decided to have his own concert. I had a few words with him at the door, at least the kids are getting some sleep.

Anyway, the weather here is just plain nasty. So windy, and this part of the country does not handle wind well, so I just stayed in as much as possible. Hubby, who is feeling better now (since he is the one that started all this crud) did the cooking yesterday and was sweet enough to leave me to my own devices so to speak. I thought I would post my Crazy quilt block progress.

I think this is about all I am going to do to it. This block is for the STS (season to season) Spring swap. It is a combination swap round robin actually. I am so looking forward to this. I make a block, reflective of what spring is to me. Then I embellish approximately half of it, send it to the hostess, she sends our blocks to our partners, we then finish the other half of the block we receive, then send it back. I know I have posted about this before, just doing a recap in case some one is seeing this for the first time. At any rate, this is what I did to mine.
This is a bit closer view. My camera seems to blur on things when I try to get a close up. The top set of flowers is a purchased applique that I just fell in love with when I saw it, had no idea what I would do with it, but now I do. Then, I did a feather stitch as a vine, then added two shades of purple SRE flowers along it. The dragon fly was another one of those appliques I fell in love with, several came in the package. The three is free form embroidery. I stitched the trunk and branches in using a brown with a red tone. Supposed to be a redwood. Okay, give me a break, I am new at this. The needles are made by using fun fur which I crocheted a length of chain stitch and then cut it and couched it in place. It looks much cooler in person. It probably isn't really half of the block, but I will send a little note with it explaining that I can do more when I get it back. I just wanted to be sure and leave a decent amount of seams and patches to work on.

Today, I am going to do a little work on Karen's Green block. Everything in green. I had a couple of things in mind, eyelash yarn would have been great, can't find any in just green. So, having to improvise on things a bit. I am going to head out to JoAnn's today to see if I can find some green beads. Not sure if they even make what I am looking for, but will give it my best shot. At any rate, had to boast about my creative impulse here.

I know that most of you have probably already thought of this, so is nothing new, but I am pretty proud of myself for thinking of it on my own. This is a crocheted butterfly, actually the top part of a bookmark (that story is on my other blog) but it happens to work great. I was looking at the green crochet thread I had, a sick kind of pea green, and after making the bookmarks knew I would not get the results I was looking for. While looking through my absurd number of plastic boxes full of this and that for what I may need to make for the next 50 years (have had the boxes going for 20 already) a spool of silk ribbon fell out, bright green. It hit me, wondered if I could crochet with it. Well, there you go. Here it is. It is so cute and comes really close to just what I had in mind.

1 comment:

JK said...

This is beautiful hon! Is the car machine embroidery?

You wanted to know how to attach those "jewels"...hon those are buttons and the rest are blown glass beads and pearls. I found them at a place called "On The Fringe" where they have the biggest assortment of embellishment fibers that they sell in 3 yd increments. Better then having to buy big balls of yarn. Here's a link in case you want to take a look.

http://www.onthefringe.net/index.html